City of Lincoln, Urban Development Department
Lincoln, NE United States
The City of Lincoln, Nebraska is looking to hire a Planner II to be part of the Urban Development Department’s Economic Opportunity Division.
Lincoln is a growing City of over 291,000, up over 12 percent from 2010. The City has enjoyed a steady annual growth rate of over one percent for the past 30 years.
Lincoln has a diversified economic base, excellent school system with high graduation rates, a burgeoning startup community, and access to multiple higher education opportunities. The City consistently earns top national rankings for its quality of life and its economy. This State Capital and college town offers the excitement of a big city with the convenience and friendliness of small-town living. Residents are proud of the city’s 131-mile trail network, excellent educational system, low crime rate, high-tech infrastructure, and great climate for job seekers and entrepreneurs.
Lincoln continues to rank high among cities in the United States for its economy, jobs, parks and trails, health, happiness, etc. The City of Lincoln has recently received a variety of national accolades, including
- The City is the 3rd most financially healthy City among the 75 most populous cities, truthinaccounting.org, 2022
- Among state capitals, Lincoln ranks 5th for safety, well-being, etc., Wallethub.com, 2022
- Lincoln is ranked number 18 on a “Top 100 Best Places to Live” by livability.com, 2021
- Lincoln ranked 1st among the Happiest Cities in America, Men’s Health, 2020
While the City has received many accolades, the City also has areas that need improvement. The Urban Development Department serves as the City’s Redevelopment Authority, which supports the redevelopment and revitalization of the City’s blighted and substandard areas through tax increment financing, in addition to other resources. The Economic Opportunity Division of the Department encourages redevelopment and private investment in projects that strengthen Lincoln. The Urban Development Department provides other services, such as managing federal CDBG funds, overseeing right of way acquisition and the sale of public property, and managing parking resources.
The Planner II position will primarily include professional work in the planning, implementation, and maintenance of redevelopment and revitalization projects. The responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following activities:
- Directs, prepares and implements major redevelopment and revitalization plans, agreements, projects and activities including mixed-use, commercial and residential redevelopment, and public streetscapes and other infrastructure improvement projects.
- Supervises and assists in the compilation of social economic and planning data; applies various community and economic development techniques and planning principles used in the analysis of community planning problems; assists in the interpretation and modification of sub-area plans and redevelopment plans; and, prepares studies and makes recommendations to public officials.
- Administers and coordinates multiple redevelopment projects, including preparing budgets, identifying and establishing funding mechanisms, and implementing and monitoring projects in collaboration with developers, consultants, contractors, and other City staff.
- Provides leadership and staff support on various on-going, multi-departmental committees (e.g., Outdoor Dining, Special Events Team, Business Improvement Districts).
- Establishes and maintains relationships with community and business groups.
Qualified candidates will have a 4-year degree in Planning or a related field with two years or more of planning experience, specifically as they relate to the responsibilities listed.
Applications submitted on or before September 18, 2022 will be considered. For more information and to apply, visit the City of Lincoln employment webpage at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/lincolnne. We look forward to hearing from you!