Community Development & Resiliency Specialist
Black Hills Council of Local Governments
Rapid City, SD United States
BLACK HILLS COUNCIL OF LOCAL GOVERNMENTS Community Development & Resiliency Specialist
Black Hills Council of Local Governments (BHCOLG) was established in 1972 as one of six planning and development districts in South Dakota. BHCOLG is a voluntary organization formed by a joint cooperative agreement between local government entities to provide technical planning assistance to a nine-county region in western South Dakota. The office is housed at the West River Business Service Center, and partners with Black Hills Community Economic Development, South Dakota Small Business Development Center, West River Foundation, and Black Hills Special Services Cooperative to help achieve its mission of enhancing communities in western South Dakota.
BHCOLG is seeking an individual with excellent attention to detail, to assist communities in short and long range planning and development activities. Under the supervision of the Executive Director the position is responsible for assisting in community plans and regulations, administration of State and Federal programs, providing technical assistance to local governments, assisting with a regional comprehensive economic development strategy, and focusing on resiliency planning for communities, businesses, and regional economic development agencies.
- Mange State and Federal program administered by Black Hills Council of Local Governments
- Fosters relationships between local and regional economic development agencies and coordinates efforts among agencies that may have overlapping missions or purposes.
- Provides technical assistance in the development of community plans which may include comprehensive plans, zoning and subdivision ordinances, capital improvements plans, housing needs assessments, and natural hazard mitigation plans.
- Identifies goals, actions, and strategies for resiliency planning on a region wide scale
- Compiles and develops project information for completion of grant and loan applications utilizing Federal, State, and local funding sources.
- Confers with and develops rapport with local authorities, civic leaders, and elected officials; must be willing to travel and attend meetings.
- Prepare graphics and visual presentations to communicate data for documents and presentations.
- Participate in research related to best practices in urban, rural, and regional planning, zoning, and housing policy
- Provide technical assistance and research in developing economic strategies and programming for the region
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Work is typically performed in an office setting.
- This position requires the employee to attend evening meetings and will require travel within and out of state.
A Bachelor's Degree in business administration, public administration, community development, urban and regional planning or related field of study, or five (5) years of progressive experience in the field. Possession of or ability to readily obtain a valid driver's license issued by the State of South Dakota.
Demonstrated skills in Microsoft outlook, word, excel, and power point. Skills in ArcGIS and Adobe InDesign preferred. Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Strong analytical, interpersonal, and presentation skills. Demonstrated experience at managing multiple assignments effectively with minimal supervision.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
1. Starting salary is $45,000 per year
2. Health, Life, and Dental Insurance
3. South Dakota Retirement System
Complete online application. Attach cover letter, resume, and professional references.
FIRST CONSIDERATION REVIEW DATE
October 7, 2020
Contact Jennifer Sietsema firstname.lastname@example.org or 605-394-2681 with questions.
Equal Opportunity Employer