GIS and Planning Technician
City of Aberdeen
Aberdeen, SD United States
This position performs technical duties in the development and maintenance of geographic information system (GIS) data and in support of department planning operations.
- Develops, edits, and maintains GIS data while assuring quality control
- Establishes and documents procedures for maintaining the GIS.
- Performs map layout and production.
- Designs and administers a GIS database; performs related server configuration and administration.
- Designs, implements, and administers internet mapping applications and associated websites.
- Provides staff training and support for GIS users.
- Designs and maintains metadata.
- Performs GIS analysis to answer questions and solve problems.
- Prepares and translates data and designs layers for use by consumers.
- Automates GIS and databases processing using scripting/programming languages.
- Researches, evaluates, and recommends the implementation of software changes and upgrades.
- Advises on the development and implementation of projects and long-range GIS plans.
- Designs and implements GPS data collection projectsMaintains file systems for plats, rezonings, and vacation of right-of-ways.
- Performs related duties.
- Knowledge of current GIS software and hardware.
- Knowledge of GIS concepts and methodology.
- Knowledge of federal, state and other data sources.
- Knowledge of database management principles.
- Knowledge of GPS hardware and software.
- Knowledge of computer programming languages.
- Skill in interpreting drawings, maps, plats, and surveys.
- Skill in the production of maps and other GIS products.
- Skill in prioritizing and planning.
- Skill in interpersonal relations.
- Skill in operating computers and job related software programs.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
- Knowledge and level of competency commonly associated with the completion of an associates or baccalaureate degree in a course of study related to the occupational field.
- Sufficient experience to understand the basic principles relevant to the major duties of the position, usually associated with the completion of an apprenticeship/internship or having had a similar position for one to two years.
- Possession of or ability to readily obtain a valid driver’s license issued by the State of South Dakota for the type of vehicle or equipment operated.
- Position is open until filled
- www.aberdeen.sd.us for the complete job description